Saturday, January 10, 2009

"Time to make the Doughnuts"

Happy New Year to all!  I'm sure millions of people out there are planning great things for themselves in the new year.  I myself have created some pretty lofty goals as well.  

Let me start by saying that 2008 was an awful year for me.  I spent most of the year in one of the worst places on earth, separated from my family, forced to endure some pretty horrible conditions.  Granted my fate could have been much worse and I'm not trying to sound like I want people to feel sorry for me but for me it was horrible and it really made me reevaluate what I wanted in my life.  To get more to the point, I am now looking to cause a little havoc.  

When I say I want to create havoc I mean I want to destroy the order I've created for myself.  I've grown accustomed to accepting things I wasn't happy with both in myself and what goals I had for myself.  I found that the goals I was setting weren't the ones that I wanted but the ones that I thought I should be setting.  I was following a path that I believed was the right one because I didn't feel like I had a choice in the matter.  Perhaps we all feel that way at times but I think the truth of the matter is, is that if we relinquish control over our fate then we stop living and are only "making doughnuts".  Remember the old Dunkin' Donuts commercial where the guy was always saying "It's time to make the doughnuts"?  Throughout the spot you would see him in various stages of dread because he was always having to "make the doughnuts".  Well that is exactly how I felt.  Every morning I woke up it was "time to make the doughnuts".  I'm sure I'm not the only one in this position and I must say that I'm very thankful for the job I have and the lifestyle it has provided me, but at some point I just want more out of life than making doughnuts.  So, with that said I am no longer going to be satisfied with the norm or orderly, I am going to create havoc, or more to the point "Havoc Fitness".

What is Havoc Fitness?  Well to me is many things.  The first is that it is my goal for this year to become a CrossFit affiliate.  This blog is my attempt to chronicle my efforts in making that dream a reality.  The second is my future in the making.  It is my goal for this year to reach out to people that are tired of the boundaries they have set for themselves and are looking to create their own havoc.  By reaching out to people and helping them to change their lives, I hope to be able to change mine.

We do not have to be satisfied with the norm, we do not have to relinquish control of our lives and say "it is just the way things are and no matter what I do I can't change it".  That is the biggest lie we can tell ourselves.  We can always change our fates; we can always break free of the boundaries we have given ourselves; we can always accomplish feats we never thought were possible; we only need to create a little "Havoc".

No comments:

Post a Comment